The Command Post
Iran - North Korea - Hotspots
April 11, 2003
Iraq Shows Why Strong Arms Needed, Says N. Korea
North Korea said the Iraq war proved the need for it to maintain a strong military deterrent against the United States, as the Communist nation's withdrawal from the global nuclear arms control treaty took effect Thursday.

The North's comments came a day after UN Security Council members said they were worried by North Korea's standoff with Washington, but refused to condemn it for pulling out of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty. China and Russia had opposed condemning Pyongyang.

Drawing parallels with the U.S. showdown with Iraq, North Korea said that bowing to demands to abandon its suspected nuclear weapons development would lead to inspections and disarmament, setting the stage for a U.S. invasion.

(AP)

Posted by Billy Beck at April 11, 2003 01:23 AM
Comments

Actually, waving nuclear weapons around like bottles of beer will lead to invasion, not disarmament. You think Canada fears a US invasion? They're right next door, we wouldn't even have to put our troops on ships, and yet, there is pretty much no chance of the US invading Canada. North Korea is doing three things, that left unchecked, *will* lead to invasion.

1) Threating the United States
2) Threating US Allies
3) Coldly opressing your own people, denying them rights that we consider escential, amoung them, freedom of press, assembly, and religion.

Plus, poofy hairdos and platform shoes went out in the 80s.

Posted by: dave at April 11, 2003 01:55 AM

We must work to eliminate their hair spray of mass destruction!

Posted by: tenbase at April 11, 2003 08:10 AM

Even Cuba isn't worried about an invasion.

Posted by: anon at April 11, 2003 09:14 PM

Hey, I love platform shoes!

Posted by: just my $0.02 at April 11, 2003 09:32 PM

>dave: "Actually, waving nuclear weapons around like bottles of beer will lead to invasion, not disarmament. "

Some commentators have said that the war on Iraq would motivate *more countries* to acquire WMD (maybe because it's so much fun when the US drops a lot of bombs on you?). I cannot figure that reasoning! But then these are the same people who thought that the Iraqis would fight to protect Saddam Hussein, their beloved leader.

Posted by: me at April 11, 2003 09:36 PM

I teach my kids to ignore the threats of bullies(bullies are usually lacking in self confidence) until they do something... then I tell my kids its ok to kick their ass and do a good job so everyone else gets the message.

Never pay a bully! It only gives them the idea that they actually have power.

Kim is doing any and everything to get the US to pay attention to him. I personally do not believe that Kim thinks we are coming after him. I think he is saying things like this just to get us to pay him for not threatening his neighbors and the US.

Posted by: mabry at April 12, 2003 12:35 AM