The Command Post
Iraq
April 03, 2003
Democracy! Whisky! Sexy!

From The New York Times:

NAJAF, Iraq, April 2 In the giddy spirit of the day, nothing could quite top the wish list bellowed out by one man in the throng of people greeting American troops from the 101st Airborne Division who marched into town today.

What, the man was asked, did he hope to see now that the Baath Party had been driven from power in his town? What would the Americans bring?

"Democracy," the man said, his voice rising to lift each word to greater prominence. "Whiskey. And sexy!"

Around him, the crowd roared its approval. Yet when the first round of welcomes to American soldiers and journalists were exuberantly, even affectionately completed, the people in the crowd had a more urgent request than liquor. They wanted water.

There has been none in this town for four days. Again and again, people pointed to the sky, tilted their heads back and pointed to their open mouths. A boy, age about 6 or 7, approached an American reporter and said the two words that were uttered over and over: "America. Good." Then he kissed the reporter on the cheek, shook his hand and pointed to the sky, pleading for water.

Posted By Dean Esmay at April 3, 2003 04:08 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Beautiful! Hell, who doesn't what that?

Posted by: SunDevilDog at April 3, 2003 04:10 PM

Doesnt Islam prohibit alcohol?

Posted by: Uzi at April 3, 2003 04:11 PM

Look, this guy has just summarized the Declaration of Independence. Give him a couple of days at least before making him square things with Allah!

Posted by: SunDevilDog at April 3, 2003 04:14 PM

Yeah, but it sure does fuel Democracy! Yeehaw! Let's get torn up and form a government for the people and by the people!

I don't know about some of these stories though. They are one step short of saying they gave each other eskimo kisses and danced hand in hand in the sunlight with kittens while a rainbow appeared overhead..

Posted by: bullseye at April 3, 2003 04:15 PM

Not all in Iraq are Muslims. There is
a Christian population who have, as I
understand it, relatively unmolested under
Saddam. (So...one good point to him.)

Posted by: etl at April 3, 2003 04:15 PM

Oh, and give me Sexy! or give me death!

Posted by: bullseye at April 3, 2003 04:16 PM

Uzi,

Surely we can't believe that there are no Moslems that sin, or don't follow all the rules of their religion.

How many Catholics use birth control? etc.

Posted by: Kathleen at April 3, 2003 04:17 PM

I'm disappointed in our government. There are people in this country who are in desperate need of sexy, like myself, and they are probably going to be giving the sexy away to the Iraqis.

Posted by: Steve at April 3, 2003 04:17 PM

Hey bullseye,

What's an eskimo kiss?? I'm dying to know.

Posted by: GG at April 3, 2003 04:19 PM

GG - I doubt it is truely of Eskimo origin, probably just some name that could even be non-PC, but as far as I know, it's when you rub noses with each other.

Posted by: bullseye at April 3, 2003 04:21 PM

So the Iragis what Scotch or Jack, but not champaign, go figure.

Posted by: jamesbray at April 3, 2003 04:23 PM

I love this! It's such a wonderfull, odd, spontaneous expression of happiness! No way anyone could make that up!

Posted by: Berkley at April 3, 2003 04:23 PM

bullseye, Thanks. Now I know!

Posted by: gg at April 3, 2003 04:24 PM

Democracy, Whiskey, Sexy!

I'm having the T-Shirts and the Bumper Stickers printed as we speak. We are going to airdrop them on Iran and North Korea as soon as we are done.

Posted by: TangoEchoXray at April 3, 2003 04:25 PM

Hey Steve, do you really want government-supplied sexy? Thats akin to socialized medicine...

Posted by: heidi at April 3, 2003 04:25 PM

Kathleen,

You're right. I guess if I was in baghdad, I'd probably want a stiff drink too.

Now that I think about it, I cant wait to get out of "work" to go have a drink.

Posted by: Uzi at April 3, 2003 04:27 PM

Put me on the mailing list for a t-shirt.

Posted by: SunDevilDog at April 3, 2003 04:28 PM

It sickens me that the NY Times gets on board this way - especially after having been so openly opposed early on.

"Whisky and sexy" are not all the US and Brit forces are bringing. It smacks of pure opportunism on the editor's part, not patriotism or intellectual affinity.

The only - emphasis on the singular - reason the NY Times is making a show of support is fear of lost circulation. Can anyone demonstrate that Sulzberger and his ringwraiths offer support on principle?

Posted by: Ranald Hay at April 3, 2003 04:28 PM

Ranald,

I'm not so sure. I really didn't start reading the Times up until just before this war kicked off. Up to that point you would think it was the Village Voice in the way some people described it. Instead, I found it pretty balanced as things go. Rather than a single slant across the paper I found a lot of different tones from different writers. Dexter Wilkins in particular did a nice job I thought.

By comparison I found the Washington Post to be more negative in tone towards the War on the whole. Either way the shifting feel occurs in most papers. Distrust any media outlet that gives you the same slant in times good or bad.

Posted by: TangoEchoXray at April 3, 2003 04:36 PM

Fundamentalist Muslims, much like fundamentalist Christians, eschew alcohol. This clearly does not mean that all of them do. In fact, I remember reading a week or so ago that Umm Qasr's liberation was looked forward to by Kuwaitis, because at least in the past, they had "dancing girls, and beer!" Umm Qasr, of course, is in the right geographic location (a huge port city on a border) to have the sinful sides of life well-represented. These things especially would have been missing in a fundamentalist state like Kuwait.

Posted by: Jonathan at April 3, 2003 04:41 PM

heidi, when it comes to the sexy, I do not discriminate on the sources - beggars not really being able to be choosers.

Still, the sexy version of Government cheese might not be all that much of an improvement....

Posted by: Steve at April 3, 2003 04:59 PM

Direct from Tennessee...old #7..this Jack's for you Iraq:-)

Posted by: mike lawson at April 3, 2003 05:04 PM

Steve, it has been my experience that government sexy is often provided by the lowest bidder, subject to unpredictable loss of service and provided based upon seniority.

Posted by: Dave at April 3, 2003 05:32 PM

Maybe the Brits could help us get a special deal on several thousand cases of Glenlivet?

After we get the water lines working, of course...

Posted by: Curt at April 3, 2003 05:36 PM

Well, Dave, then I'm screwed.

Not literally, obviously.

Posted by: Steve at April 3, 2003 05:40 PM

Now you can buy the "Democracy! Whisky! Sexy!" T-shirt (and other fine items) at http://www.cafepress.com/operationdms !

Posted by: Rich at April 6, 2003 03:05 PM

Please send me the list of persons in US custody from the cards on the Most Wanted list. I would like to know name, card number and date of capture.

Posted by: Ruth Pucci at April 25, 2003 09:59 AM